Skip to main content

Eggs' Bizarre Glasses Adventure

Three months. I've spent three months freaking out over getting a new pair of glasses. It's a multi-part story with action, conflict, and plot twists! True friends were made and enemies were revealed! I cried! Okay, I may be hyping this up more than how it actually was, but things actually felt this intense. Like, my sight was messed up for weeks. Imagine losing your sight when you've been seeing your whole life! I need my eyes to work -- to write this blog. I'm writing this wonky story with a humorous twist to make myself feel better about it. Anyways, without further ado, I will try to summarize this high-stakes action into four parts.


Part 1 - Innocent Eye Check-up

It all started with an eye appointment on January 22, 2022... I thought it was just going to be a harmless little check-up where I could trust the doctor's judgment. I'm not going to state where this eye exam was because I don't want to get canceled. Anyways, after a rather stressful examination -- the doctor said my eyes were too stressed and ruining the results -- I improved my mood by searching for a new pair of frames.

For some context, I have been wearing the same pair of glasses for about 3 or 4 years. I thought it was time for a style update. However, due to my personality type, I was very picky in my selections... I wanted round frames this time, but only Ray-Bans with their signature silver ovals at the corners. Something about that style just looks so nice. Anyways, I looked for new frames along with my mom with the help of the manager of the store. She had laid out several pairs for me to choose from: two round frames made by this particular eyeglasses store, round Ray-Bans lacking the silver ovals, and square Ray-Bans with the silver ovals. Out of a combination of feeling rushed and sticking with things closest to my old pair of glasses, I chose the last frame option...

As I left the eye exam and glasses store combo, I felt a slight sense of regret...


Part 2 - New Glasses, New Me?

A week or two passed and then it was time to pick up my new glasses. I was excited, but not too excited. I arrived at the eyeglasses store, got my new pair, put them on and... They were mostly okay. "Wow," I thought as I looked around the store. "They aren't hurting my eyes or anything."

However, I was terribly mistaken. The moment I got home and sat at my laptop, my right eye began hurting like a female dog. Silly me thought that I just had to get used to the glasses, but no! My parents convinced me to return immediately to get another eye exam. I did, and it solved one problem but brought up another one... I still couldn't see through my glasses due to them being misaligned on my face.

This frustrated me greatly. I just wanted to look fashionable and see clearly. And I wanted it right then! I forgot to take into account that getting adjusted to a new pair of glasses takes up to two weeks, despite the fact that I had read it several times over online. I began to think that I would never get adjusted to my glasses. I became hopeless and began to cry. Yes, I actually cried. My dad got mad, so I had to stop though. Just sucked the tears back into my eyes. 

This incident then led me to begin my week-long endeavor of getting my new glasses adjusted.


Part 3 - Adjustment Seekers

Same eyeglasses company, different location! I would end up going to this location closer to my house for the next couple of weeks, getting small adjustments on my glasses to make them fit my face better. After each adjustment, I wasted a little more gas and felt more terrible about the whole situation.

One positive though is that I went so often for adjustments, that one of the guys who worked at the location remembered me. He would have some small talk with me about school and stuff, which my dad did not approve of, heh. Even if he was doing it just to stop things from being so awkward, it made it seem like he cared and the trips to get my glasses adjusted gradually became less daunting.

One day, however, as I returned once again, a different man adjusted my glasses for me. He was like "Your frames are a bit wide on your face, let's do something to take care of that." He then heated up the plastic of the nose bridge with a machine and bent my frames inward so that they made a slight "V" shape. Next, he heated up the bits that loop behind your ears and straightened them completely out. I stared at him in silent horror. But as he worked, my horror eventually faded away. He bent the ear loops back behind my ears again, making them fit snugger than before.

I had never been so overjoyed in my life before. The frames now fit my face perfectly. But, my vision through the lenses was now warped once again. I expected it though, since he had just bent my frames at the bridge. What I wasn't expecting was the upcoming headaches and constant eye squinting just to see. 


Part 4 - AAAAAA

I thought I could get used to the new warp in my vision, but no! On the verge of tears again, I decided to return to the same eyeglasses store. I thought I would have to deal with the same questionable doctor again, but thankfully, someone else was filling in for him. This lady did a much better job with the exam than he did, and I soon had a new prescription in hand.

I also decided to pick up some new frames, since those big, rectangular Ray-Bans just weren't working for me. I got a pair of large, circular Burberrys (apparently a very popular style). I was also able to acquire this new pair of glasses for only $60 (USD), which was a super good deal!

Look at the little goofy glasses.


I was so excited for this new pair. They looked perfect on my face and weren't so wide that the bridge had to be bent to fit properly. These too had fuzzy vision around the edges, which I gradually got used to, but there was another problem again. The area around my right eye began cramping...


Conclusion

Of course this story is still ongoing, but one, you are probably tired of reading about it, and two, I am tired of racking my memory to write about it. I'm actually still struggling with seeing because of a combination of my glasses and questionable sleeping habits. However, I can't keep using it as an excuse to not do any work. I wrote that last bit more for myself than you, dear reader.

So yeah, this has been a very frustrating 3 (going on 4 now) months.


Extra Note

The tortures above ended near the end of March. So it actually did last about 4 months. This story has been sitting as a draft from then until now (December 31st, 2022). I've had the last pair of glasses mentioned for the rest of the year. There was a moment when a guy put the wrong lenses in them, which contorted the frames in the wrong way, but after several weeks they were reverted back to their normal round selves. Besides that, everything has been fine glasses-wise.


Please leave any comments or questions below, thank you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Write (Somewhat) Good Poetry

 In accordance with my last post  about why  you should write poetry, I present you with this post about the how  side of things. I don't mean to brag, but people say they like my poetry. So, I'm going to share some of the things I keep in mind while writing poems and maybe it might help you write decent ones as well. Choose a Topic iStock Choosing a topic and sticking to it is really useful when you're just starting to write a poem. A friend of mine shared with me On Beauty  by Kahlil Gibran. Pretty obvious, but he's talking about what beauty is. But it isn't that simple. Gibran uses a multitude of metaphors and other literary devices that I can't remember the names for. Overall, it is such a beautiful poem in my opinion. So what you can do is find a topic and then come up with some ways to add a little flourish to it as you talk about it in your poem. For another example, I write an unhealthy amount of poems related to love. Love would be the topic, but then I

First Post, Yay!

Unsplash.com Have you ever felt a sense of accomplishment in your life? Like you finally done something good for once? Used your skills for something good? Well, that's what I'm feeling right now. I finally started this blog today after briefly mentioning it to my friends a couple months ago. It used to be a fleeting dream, but now it's actually here! I hope to have monthly posts up, but maybe I could eventually kick that up to bi-monthly, and even weekly. Ambitious I know, heh. But I can't really contain my excitement. I just hope I don't burn out. Type of Content Dreamstime.com I'll normally post reviews on things I have done or seen in the past. But I am also hoping to post about my first impressions of things before I actually try them. So, this blog is like a giant mosh-pit of my thoughts and feelings on things, I guess. Maybe it might even evolve into something more. Who knows? What's Up with the Name? VectorStock.com You may be wondering why I decided