Skip to main content

How to Write (Somewhat) Good Poetry

 In accordance with my last post about why you should write poetry, I present you with this post about the how side of things. I don't mean to brag, but people say they like my poetry. So, I'm going to share some of the things I keep in mind while writing poems and maybe it might help you write decent ones as well.


Choose a Topic

question mark in thought bubble
iStock

Choosing a topic and sticking to it is really useful when you're just starting to write a poem. A friend of mine shared with me On Beauty by Kahlil Gibran. Pretty obvious, but he's talking about what beauty is. But it isn't that simple. Gibran uses a multitude of metaphors and other literary devices that I can't remember the names for. Overall, it is such a beautiful poem in my opinion.

So what you can do is find a topic and then come up with some ways to add a little flourish to it as you talk about it in your poem. For another example, I write an unhealthy amount of poems related to love. Love would be the topic, but then I find something like the winter season to create a nice little metaphor or whatever it's called.


Almost Anything Goes

colorful waves on white background
iStock

A couple days ago, another one of my friends shared with me E. E. Cummings' Seven Poems. Cummings is supposed to be a famous American poet. So why does this poem look like he had a stroke in the middle of writing it? Or "he got a little too excited with his fancy new typewriter," as another friend of mine put it.

Well, I couldn't tell you. I could probably take a guess, but I won't bore you with my half-baked poetry analysis. Remember that time I said that almost anything goes in poetry? No? Well, let's just say that this is one of the things that go. That peculiar spacing of the "and" and other dramatic line breaks and positioning are there to add emphasis. A little artistic flair. If you end up writing your own poems, you can decide what all those little quirks you add in there mean.


It Doesn't Have to Be Perfect

For writing in general, a good rule to follow is "write first, edit later." You've already completed half the battle by just getting something down on paper. It's okay if it looks like word vomit or gibberish! If it bothers you so much, then you can revise it after you get everything you want to get down. If you're on the lazy side like me, you can pass it off as a stylistic choice.

I must admit, I am a bit guilty of not following this rule to a T, especially in narrative writing. With poetry though, I find myself relaxing a bit more and I make fewer edits to my poems. So, if writing poetry is stressing you out, just remind yourself that it doesn't have to be a "masterpiece" on your first try.


Conclusion

So, lemme summarize:

  1. Start off by choosing a topic
  2. Decide if you want to add any quirks or artistic flair to your poem
  3. Remind yourself that it doesn't need to be perfect

Yeah, I hope this helps you on your poetry writing journey -- if you decide to embark on it, that is. Also, feel free to check out some of my (very edgy) poems on my Wattpad here.

Please leave any comments or questions below, thank you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eggs' Bizarre Glasses Adventure

Three months. I've spent three months freaking out over getting a new pair of glasses. It's a multi-part story with action, conflict, and plot twists! True friends were made and enemies were revealed! I cried! Okay, I may be hyping this up more than how it actually was, but things actually felt this intense. Like, my sight was messed up for weeks. Imagine losing your sight when you've been seeing your whole life! I need my eyes to work -- to write this blog. I'm writing this wonky story with a humorous twist to make myself feel better about it. Anyways, without further ado, I will try to summarize this high-stakes action into four parts. Part 1 - Innocent Eye Check-up It all started with an eye appointment on January 22, 2022... I thought it was just going to be a harmless little check-up where I could trust the doctor's judgment. I'm not going to state where this eye exam was because I don't want to get canceled. Anyways, after a rather stressful examinatio

First Post, Yay!

Unsplash.com Have you ever felt a sense of accomplishment in your life? Like you finally done something good for once? Used your skills for something good? Well, that's what I'm feeling right now. I finally started this blog today after briefly mentioning it to my friends a couple months ago. It used to be a fleeting dream, but now it's actually here! I hope to have monthly posts up, but maybe I could eventually kick that up to bi-monthly, and even weekly. Ambitious I know, heh. But I can't really contain my excitement. I just hope I don't burn out. Type of Content Dreamstime.com I'll normally post reviews on things I have done or seen in the past. But I am also hoping to post about my first impressions of things before I actually try them. So, this blog is like a giant mosh-pit of my thoughts and feelings on things, I guess. Maybe it might even evolve into something more. Who knows? What's Up with the Name? VectorStock.com You may be wondering why I decided