Skip to main content

That One Annoying Day Where Everyone Gets All Touchy-Feely

Credit: iStock/Unsplash

Since when did February become so focused on Valentine's Day? Near the beginning of the month, I walked into a CVS and they already had out all the chocolates and candies and whatever else they want you to waste your money on. Like, come on now. 

This year, I must admit, I was excited for Valentine's. I had put away my "haha, I'm forever alone" catchphrase and was ready to show some love. However, my efforts did not provide the results I was expecting... But it's a rather complicated and private story that I would prefer to not share. Just know that my "haha, I'm forever alone" jokes are back.

While sobbing over my failed romantic endeavors, I've got to wondering what the heck Valentine's Day is even about. Like how did it get started? Why does it have to cause me so much anguish? Unfortunately, Google can't really help with the latter, but I was able to get some answers for the former. So, without further ado, I'm going to be summarizing what I found.


Of Course It Started with a Pagan Festival

There's a lot going on here.                                                       Credit: vivianlawry.com

Like Halloween, Valentine's Day has some history with a pagan festival way back in the day. The festival was called Lupercalia and involved some really wacky stuff. More on that in a bit. Lupercalia was held to promote fertility and to honor the female wolf that took care of Romulus and Remus, the founders of Rome.

Also, on a side note, I found out that the cave where those boys were raised by the wolf was named Lupercal. Now, I don't know if you play Genshin Impact, but when I did, I used to be a Razor main. And this dude would occasionally grunt out something about a "lupercal" because he's a wild wolf child. I just connected the cave's name and Razor's dying dialogue and I was like, "wow that's so cool!" I thought it was a word for "family" hidden away in some unseen game lore, but this is 10x better with how it relates to a real legend.

Anyways, more about what happens at the festival. It starts with a sacrifice of a goat and dog, which is symbolic of fertility things. Then they have a feast. Killing animals can make a dude pretty hungry I guess. After they eat, they take strips from the dead goat's hide and run around the town whipping women with the strips. By "they", I mean the male priests called Luperci who are naked. This was supposed to make the women more fertile apparently. Fun times.

There was also this "pick a name from a hat" type deal during the festival. Men would choose a woman's name from a jar to stay with them for the rest of Lupercalia. They would normally end up getting married. It sounds like being randomly assigned a partner in a classroom, which can be rather stressful, but yay romance?


There Was a Saint Too

St. Valentine on a window.                             Credit: CBN

Along with Lupercalia, Valentine's Day also has some relation to Saint Valentine. There is a lot of mystery surrounding him; I even read something that said St. Valentine was two different men. It may be a common name, but still. Pretty confusing.

So the main story is that St. Valentine got executed on February 14th, 3rd Century A.D. by the Roman Emperor. Apparently, they put him in jail because he was marrying Christian couples on the down-low. He also sent this note to his jailer's daughter like "From your Valentine." I guess that's where the note-sending thing came from. The holiday also shares his name, so that makes sense as well.


Tying it All Together

As always, the Pope or whoever attempted to remove the pagan festival. Pope Gelasius I in the 5th Century A.D. deleted Lupercalia and said Feb 14th would be used to celebrate the martyrdom of St. Valentine instead.

In the 14th century, Geoffery Chaucer was the first person to record Valentine's Day as being more romantically inclined. He was a medieval English poet and lots of people must've read his 1375 poem, "Parliament of Foules" because Valentine's day wasn't even considered romantic before then.


Conclusion

Yeah so after all of that, we're now stuck with this love holiday today. I wish I could just treat it as a normal day, but alas, mainstream media won't let me. Also, I just remembered, February is supposed to be Black History Month. But it gets overshadowed by Valentine's Day or something. So much for that.

Please leave any comments or condolences down below, thank you!


Sources

History.com - History of Valentine's Day

History.com - 6 Surprising Facts About St. Valentine


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eggs' Bizarre Glasses Adventure

Three months. I've spent three months freaking out over getting a new pair of glasses. It's a multi-part story with action, conflict, and plot twists! True friends were made and enemies were revealed! I cried! Okay, I may be hyping this up more than how it actually was, but things actually felt this intense. Like, my sight was messed up for weeks. Imagine losing your sight when you've been seeing your whole life! I need my eyes to work -- to write this blog. I'm writing this wonky story with a humorous twist to make myself feel better about it. Anyways, without further ado, I will try to summarize this high-stakes action into four parts. Part 1 - Innocent Eye Check-up It all started with an eye appointment on January 22, 2022... I thought it was just going to be a harmless little check-up where I could trust the doctor's judgment. I'm not going to state where this eye exam was because I don't want to get canceled. Anyways, after a rather stressful examinatio

How to Write (Somewhat) Good Poetry

 In accordance with my last post  about why  you should write poetry, I present you with this post about the how  side of things. I don't mean to brag, but people say they like my poetry. So, I'm going to share some of the things I keep in mind while writing poems and maybe it might help you write decent ones as well. Choose a Topic iStock Choosing a topic and sticking to it is really useful when you're just starting to write a poem. A friend of mine shared with me On Beauty  by Kahlil Gibran. Pretty obvious, but he's talking about what beauty is. But it isn't that simple. Gibran uses a multitude of metaphors and other literary devices that I can't remember the names for. Overall, it is such a beautiful poem in my opinion. So what you can do is find a topic and then come up with some ways to add a little flourish to it as you talk about it in your poem. For another example, I write an unhealthy amount of poems related to love. Love would be the topic, but then I

First Post, Yay!

Unsplash.com Have you ever felt a sense of accomplishment in your life? Like you finally done something good for once? Used your skills for something good? Well, that's what I'm feeling right now. I finally started this blog today after briefly mentioning it to my friends a couple months ago. It used to be a fleeting dream, but now it's actually here! I hope to have monthly posts up, but maybe I could eventually kick that up to bi-monthly, and even weekly. Ambitious I know, heh. But I can't really contain my excitement. I just hope I don't burn out. Type of Content Dreamstime.com I'll normally post reviews on things I have done or seen in the past. But I am also hoping to post about my first impressions of things before I actually try them. So, this blog is like a giant mosh-pit of my thoughts and feelings on things, I guess. Maybe it might even evolve into something more. Who knows? What's Up with the Name? VectorStock.com You may be wondering why I decided